Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day Twenty--Organized Birthday Cards

Snail Mail is starting to become a thing of the past. It's a little sad, but it's hard not to be caught up in the instant accessibility of email, instant messaging, posting with facebook, texting, buying (and sending) gifts online, etc. etc. However, as a kid, there was something magical about going to the mailbox on your birthday. It was usually the only time you were allowed to and really the only time you even cared to. It was the only time you could expect there to be something for you! And, oh, the joy if there was more than one! A card? Maybe even a package? If it was a card, you felt to see how bulky it was. Kids have a sixth sense if there is a few dollars folded up inside a mysterious envelope. It was exciting, but most importantly, you felt loved. To this day, the family members I am closest to are the ones who made the extra effort, such as sending a card or making a call on my birthday.

And so, years later I desire to create the same kind of relationships with my own family members. Especially my nieces and nephews. We are miles apart and see each other about once a year. I want them to know that their Aunt Sara thinks of them and cares about them. I especially want them to know that their cousins care about them and that we are thinking of them on their birthday. And so today, I made some quick little birthday note cards, using a set of pre-made blank cards and then stamping an image of a birthday present on the front of it with the word "happy!" I made enough for each of my nieces and nephews. I already have their birthdays written down on the calendar, although it would be smarter of me to have them alerted to my phone. One baby step at a time, here...

I also decided that an easy gift to give is a Target giftcard, which is right around the corner from me. And what kid doesn't like shopping at Target? My kids would spend forever in the $1 section if they could. I bought a bunch of $5 gift cards, enough to cover me for the next six months, at least. All I need to do now is addresses and stamps and they're ready to be filled out by my kids and sent off in time for each of their big days.

I love giving and I often feel bad that I can't be around for each of their birthdays. I know it's not important to everyone, but it's important to me to do this little thing and let them know we are remembering them on their special day...

No comments:

Post a Comment