Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day Nineteen--An Organized Car Kit

With an upcoming trip to Utah this weekend, I took the opportunity today of cleaning up and organizing my car kit. My car kit consists of all the basics I need to keep me and my rugrats sane and happy, whether we're in the car for six minutes or six hours. When I took it out today, it was a complete disaster. Mostly it consisted of wadded up trash, papers from school, and discarded coupons I'd never gotten around to using.

I keep my car kit in a black canvas box-like container made specifically for organizing things in cars. It has a strap on the back so it can actually hang from a seat and make things more accessible. I just keep mine down on the ground and it works out great. Here are some of the items I try and keep it stocked with:
  • Snacks. I always try to have some kind of a carb (crackers), a protein (beef jerky), and a treat (usually candy used for bribes.)
  • Bottled water. I always try and have one or two in my car for those times I forget to bring along my regular bottle of water.
  • Wipes and diapers. Can never have too many of those, right?
  • Books and cds. My kids love audiobooks, especially if there is a book to go along with the cd. I keep several in the car with me at all times and we rotate through them frequently, bringing out a new batch. I also keep a little booklet in the car that contains easy travel games to do with the kids, to help keep things interesting.
  • Hand lotion, hand sanitizer, and sunscreen, if it's that season. I also keep a separate, well-stocked first aid container under my passenger seat.
  • Notepaper and oodles of pens. Let's face it. Pens disappear in cars the same way socks disappear in the dryer. I always stock my kit with too many pens, knowing eventually, I'll end up with zero.
  • Restaurant gift cards and coupons. If you're going to use them, this is where you'll want to keep them and not back at home, tucked away safely in a file or drawer, miles and miles away from the restaurant where you are currently pulling up to the drive-through.
  • Last but not least, a mini clipboard. My clipboard is the perfect size for attaching coupons, letters that need to be mailed, checks that need to be deposited, plus it makes a great writing surface when you have to write something. It's nice to have the things you need to do all clumped together in one spot.
I also took the opportunity to revamp my car's emergency kit. This kit is NOT complete, and is currently lacking in most of the real emergency type equipment, such as road flares, ready made meals, adequate water and a fire extinguisher. I pray I never have to really use any of those things in an actual emergency; at least not until I get my emergency kit up to par. However, I do participate in a number of other real emergencies of a more mild manner. "Mommy, I'm starving!" "Mom, I have to go to the bathroom NOW!" "Uhm...mom, I didn't bring any shoes..." "Mom, I'm bored..." I think you get the picture.

Aside from my everyday car kit that contains a lot of necessities within arm's reach, I designate another bag to things of an urgent, yes less frequent, nature. Extra socks, flipflops, underwear, more diapers and wipes (because you never want to be without those), extra snacks, candy, and water, plus an extra set of coloring books or activities, just in case they happen to get bored with the ones they brought. Like that is ever going to happen, right? I use an old freebie diaper bag, which is great because it is a compact size, yet has lots of pockets for separation. I throw it all in there and then roll up a compact blanket on top. Voila! Who's ready for a road trip!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment